30 Seconds of Prevention
...to keep your family safe from kitchen fires and burn injuries. Inspector Tony Akins of the Los Angeles County Fire Department explains:
Prevent Kitchen Burns and Fires
- Cooking aromas entice children and pets to dangerous areas of the kitchen.
- Enforce a child and pet free zone at least 3 feet from your stove and ovens.
- Never serve or sample hot food directly to children from the stove top.
- Cook on back burners whenever possible, and turn pot handles away.
- Avoid dangling cords from cooking appliances.
- Keep your stove top clean and flammable kitchen items away.
- Carry and serve hot foods and liquids carefully in your home.
- Cool the burn with water. Do not apply ice, butter, ointments or home remedies.
- Cover the burn with a clean dry cloth.
- Contact a healthcare professional promptly. For a serious burn call 9-1-1.
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department