30 Seconds of Prevention
...to keep your family safe from burn injuries. LAFD Captain Jaime Moore explains:
Home Heating Mistakes Can Be Deadly
- Never use an oven, stove top or barbeque to heat your home.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Test them monthly, and practice your escape from fire.
- Be especially careful with portable space heaters in any room.
- Cool the burn with water. Do not apply ice, butter, ointments or home remedies.
- Cover the burn with a clean dry cloth.
- Contact a healthcare professional promptly. For a serious burn or any emergency, call 9-1-1.
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department