30 Seconds of Prevention
...to keep your family safe from burn injuries. LAFD Captain Jaime Moore explains:
Basic Cooking Rules and Kitchen Clean-up Prevents Fires
- Never leave food unattended while cooking on the stove.
- Clean all cooled stove and oven surfaces once cooking is completed.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for stove and oven cleaning and maintenance.
- Cool the burn with water. Do not apply ice, butter, ointments or home remedies.
- Cover the burn with a clean dry cloth.
- Contact a healthcare professional promptly. For significant burns, call 9-1-1.
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department