Smoke Alarms Absent in Boyle Heights Fire that Displaces 17

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 |

BOYLE HEIGHTS - Seventeen residents of an eastside duplex were displaced by a raging fire Wednesday morning, that sent one man to the hospital.

The Los Angeles Fire Department was summoned at 6:15 AM on February 13, 2013, to 1901 East Pennsylvania Avenue in Boyle Heights. Firefighters arrived quickly to find heavy fire within the kitchen and hallway of a first floor unit in a two-story residential duplex.


Thirty-nine firefighters under the command of Battalion Chief Phillip Fligiel skillfully confined the fire near the area of origin, extinguishing the flames in just 17 minutes. One male resident who suffered smoke exposure was taken to an area hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Firefighters expressed clear amazement that there were no additional injuries or loss of life, as the building was not equipped with smoke alarms as required by law.

Monetary loss from the fire - which rendered the building temporarily untenable, was limited to $30,000 ($25,000 structure & $5,000 contents). Nine residents of the downstairs apartment, and eight living upstairs were offered interim housing assistance by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the predawn fire is considered accidental, and attributed to the improper storage of combustible items near a water heater.
Dispatched Units: E2 T2 E202 RA2 E4 RA804 EM1 BC1 E9 RA4 E25 T10 E210
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.