WESTCHESTER - A pet dog trapped in a burning home was rescued and resuscitated by Los Angeles Firefighters on Tuesday evening.
The Los Angeles Fire Department was summoned at 5:19 PM on December 4, 2012 to 8300 South Georgetown Avenue in Westchester. LAFD crews arrived quickly to find a one-story home fully involved with fire. Forcing entry to battle flames, firefighters braved intense heat within the 1,552 square-foot residence, that was filled from floor-to-ceiling with thick, blinding smoke.
Administering oxygen with manual stimulation, the team of veteran Fire Department rescuers were able to restore breathing and consciousness to the 8 year-old mixed breed dog - to the great relief of her owner as she arrived at the scene.
Twenty-seven firefighters under the command of Battalion Chief Michael Bowman were able to extinguish the flames in just fifteen minutes, and no human or other animal injuries were reported.
Determining the smoke-exposed canine to be in need of continuing care, LAFD personnel assisted the owner in bringing her companion animal to the Advanced Veterinary Care Center in Lawndale, where she is expected to survive.
The accidental fire, caused by a wall furnace, led to $210,000 ($200,000 structure and $10,000 contents) damage to the 62 year-old home, which was not equipped with fire sprinklers.
Dispatched Units: E5 T5 E205 RA5 E67 RA867 EM9 BC4 E62 AR2[ video ]
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department