Firefighters: Don't Burn Holiday Wrappings in Fireplace

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 |

The Los Angeles Fire Department reminds you that it's not only improper - but highly unsafe - to burn holiday gift wrap and other waste items in a residential fireplace.

Most fireplaces are designed to use natural gas or dry firewood to support a small decorative fire that enhances ambience.

Attempts to burn improper items such as scrap lumber, vegetation or even parts of a Christmas Tree can create an excessively large and hot fire that damages the fireplace and chimney - or suddenly becomes uncontrollable. Each year, people lose their homes to such fires, which often spread quickly.

Of particular concern to firefighters this week is the extremely unsafe practice of burning holiday gift wrap and packaging material in a fireplace.

Burning improper items creates embers that bypass missing or damaged spark arresters. These embers cause roof and attic fires that can destroy your home and everything in it.

Attempting to burn improper items in a fireplace can also cause noxious fumes that make people ill and harm the environment.

Firefighters ask you to be careful with fire this holiday season, especially with candles, which are notoriously dangerous.

To learn more about keeping your family safe now and in the coming year, we welcome you to visit and bookmark the Los Angeles Fire Department website at LAFD.ORG

Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.