Los Angeles Fire Department reminds you that it's not only improper - but highly unsafe - to burn holiday gift wrap and other waste items in a residential fireplace.
Most fireplaces are designed to use natural gas or dry firewood to support a small decorative fire that enhances ambience.
Attempts to burn improper items such as scrap lumber, vegetation or even parts of a Christmas Tree can create an excessively large and hot fire that damages the fireplace and chimney - or suddenly becomes uncontrollable. Each year, people lose their homes to such fires, which often spread quickly.
Of particular concern to firefighters this week is the extremely unsafe practice of burning holiday gift wrap and packaging material in a fireplace.
Burning improper items creates embers that bypass missing or damaged spark arresters. These embers cause roof and attic fires that can destroy your home and everything in it.
Attempting to burn improper items in a fireplace can also cause noxious fumes that make people ill and harm the environment.
Firefighters ask you to be careful with fire this holiday season, especially with candles, which are notoriously dangerous.
To learn more about keeping your family safe now and in the coming year, we welcome you to visit and bookmark the Los Angeles Fire Department website at LAFD.ORG
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department
Tuesday, December 25, 2012 | Posted by LAFD
LAFD Breaking News
LAFD In The News
LAFD Retiree Deaths
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Power Alerts
CA OES News
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
NATIONAL EMS NEWS
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2014 (120)
- ► 2013 (176)
- Resolve to be Ready in 2013
- LAFD Releases Surveillance Video of Chatsworth Ars...
- Would You Knowingly Harm a Firefighter?
- L.A. Chinatown Apartment Fire Claims One Life, Cri...
- Firefighters Highlight Need For Kinara Safety
- Firefighters: Don't Burn Holiday Wrappings in Fire...
- Could 5 Deaths Have Been Prevented by 2 Simple Hab...
- Highland Park Family Experiences Holiday Magic, Th...
- Los Angeles Firefighters Highlight Regional Winter...
- Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation Receives Pr...
- Cause Determined in Fatal West Hills House Fire
- 125 Los Angeles Firefighters Battle Sun Valley Com...
- Firefighters Stress Need for Menorah Safety
- Holiday Candles: More Deadly Than You Think
- LAFD: Do You Have a 'Killer' Christmas Tree?
- Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation Honored as ...
- Firefighters Rescue Dog From Burning Westchester H...
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (138)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (227)
- ► 2007 (296)
- ► 2006 (303)
- ► 2005 (211)