ARLETA - A fast-moving house fire sparked by the careless use of a barbecue, displaced seven residents and sent three Los Angeles Firefighters to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon.
The Los Angeles Fire Department was summoned at 12:48 PM on November 28, 2012 to 9205 Dorrington Avenue in Arleta, where firefighters discovered fire to the rear of a one-story home. Intense flames had consumed an 8' x 15' fabric canopy stretched over a tall metal frame that abutted the residence, allowing flames to extend into the building prior to the Fire Department's arrival.
During the skirmish with flames, one firefighter fell nine feet through fire-weakened eaves at the southwest edge of the home, squarely striking a colleague on the ground and grazing another before landing on a ragged pile of debris outside the building. The three men sustained injuries that ranged from painful to potentially debilitating, yet were considered non-life threatening. The trio were taken to an area hospital where at least one was expected to remain for observation.
LAFD crews reunited two small dogs with the homeowner as they battled the flames, which were extinguished in just 16 minutes - but not before causing $100,000 damage ($70,000 structure & $30,000 contents) to the home, which was not equipped with fire sprinklers.
No other injuries were reported. The American Red Cross provided temporary placement assistance to the three adults and four children displaced by the blaze.
The cause of the fire is considered accidental. Responders attribute the blaze to careless placement of the barbecue beneath a fabric canopy, combined with unsafe handling of ignited charcoal.
Dispatched Units: E7 E81 RA75 T90 RA890 EM12 BC12 E98 T98 E298 RA7 RA898 E275 E289 T89 DC3 E290[ photos ]
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department