Click here for the LAFD entry level Firefighter Job Bulletin

House Fire Claims Life of Man in Glassell Park

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 |

GLASSELL PARK -  An adult male was found deceased in a fire that destroyed a house on the rear of a hillside lot in Glassell Park. The early morning fire was quickly extinguished by the Los Angeles Fire Department.


Just after 1:00 AM, on July 24, 2012, Los Angeles Firefighters were summoned to 3844 Aguilar Street, to find a two-story hillside residence, with a 464 square-foot detached home in the rear, that was fully involved in fire.

Firefighters worked aggressively to extinguish the intense flames consuming the wood frame constructed rear home with shiplap siding. Flames rapidly spread to a carport, shed and damaged a neighboring by residence to the East.

Due to the swift work of 52 firefighters, under the direction of Battalion Chief Rudy Hill, the blaze was extinguished in just 20 minutes.

Sadly, a 33 year-old male was found without vital signs of life, in the bathtub of the rear structure.

In examining the fire's aftermath, it was not immediately known if there were functional smoke alarms. There were no window bars, security doors, or obvious non-fire factors to impede the victim from exiting the home. The residence was not equipped with residential fire sprinklers.

A positive identification of the deceased man, as well as the precise cause, time and manner of his death will be determined by the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The cause of the early morning blaze is under active investigation by LAFD's Arson Section and LAPD. While the rear structure appears to be a complete loss, the estimated dollar loss is still being tabulated.

Dispatched Units: E55 RA55 E250 T50 RA850 E42 EM1 BC2 E44 E12 T12 E212 RA56 E201 T1 E220 T20 DC1 SQ21 BC1 AR1 AR36 AR3 AR23 AR39 E3

Submitted by Erik Scott, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

1 comments:

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...

"Hi Erik,

I am a neighbor in the vicinity of that terrible event last night. My husband and I were utterly horrified by how quickly (it seemed to us) and completely that little house was engulfed. We are also shocked and saddened that a man lost his life in the event.

First, thanks so much to the firefighters who arrived so quickly and worked so diligently and (what other word is there but) bravely to get that thing out while the neighborhood either slept or gawked and fretted out our windows. What would we do without you guys?

Secondly, is there anything that I should do, as a homeowner and parent of two little ones, besides checking smoke alarm batteries, making sure brush is cleared, and teaching my kids what to do if one breaks out? Am I being overly cautious to have an electrician come out and assess wiring?

Thanks again to the numerous trucks that showed at the scene and to the guys that doused that blaze. It was a super frightening night and knowing you were all there was very reassuring.

A little traumatized and very grateful. J."

Dear J,

The Los Angeles Fire Department truly appreciates your kind words. We applaud your efforts to prepare your family, check smoke alarms, and clear brush. If you suspect any of your electrical wiring is not up-to-code, we of course encourage having a certified electrician evaluate it. Here are a few other electrical tips...

-Look for the UL Mark on all products. It means that samples of the product have been tested for safety.
-Make sure outlets are not overloaded.
Check electrical wires and cords on appliances, tools, lamps, etc. to make sure they’re not worn or frayed.
-Never run electrical wires or extension cords under carpets or heavy items.
-Use outlet plug covers to prevent children from inserting objects into outlets.

On another note of preparedness, the LAFD strongly encourages everyone to develop and practice a home safety plan. Following, are some helpful Fire Safety Tips to aid in your efforts:

Install smoke alarms in every room of a property. Consider networked smoke alarms that are linked together so that when one alarm sounds, all of the alarms sound. This immediate response can provide early warning no matter where the fire starts, giving more time to escape.
Install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on every floor and near sleeping areas. As of July 1, 2011, the State of California requires Carbon Monoxide detectors in most single family homes - and soon in every residence.
Purchase a fire extinguisher and learn how to use it BEFORE a fire breaks out.
Never leave candles unattended and keep them away from flammable items. Be sure to extinguish candles before going to bed.

Again, we thank you and stay safe!

Respectfully,

Erik Scott
Firefighter/Paramedic, Spokesman
C-Shift Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.