VIDEO: Dog Bites Can of Spray Paint - and Kitchen Explodes in Flames

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 |

Your Los Angeles Fire Department has talked frequently of the dangers associated with household cleaning supplies and home improvement chemicals. And the danger isn't limited to humans...

While filming the premiere episode of Pet Sense, Yogi the "cleaning-supply-hating" Corgi bit into a spray can, which led to an explosive kitchen fire captured on video:


We're pleased to say the 8 year-old pet, humans and Los Angeles household survived the interaction between flammable paint fumes and a kitchen ignition source. Yogi's owner Hali Hudson explains more in a thought-provoking interview video that followed the fire:


Yes, commom supplies kept in your cabinets can easily poison a member of your household or ignite an inferno. A scouring pet or child - or the light shaking of an earthquake, may be all it takes to cause a spill or mixture that creates a witches' brew right under your kitchen sink.

We encourage you to read the full story, and then get busy on hazard abatement in your home, before a two- or four-legged member of your household causes what you may have once thought impossible.

Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

2 comments:

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...

Dear Friend of the LAFD,

As mentioned above - and hopefully clarified by watching the videos, this was a real life event that happened to be caught on video.

Your Los Angeles Fire Department did respond to investigate the "fire out", and can affirm there were no injuries.

We trust you understand our message (kindly underscored by Ms. Hudson):

There are often dangerous items stored in our home. Something as seemingly benign as a spilled cleaning product or paint can lead to disaster when flammable fumes come into contact with the many sources of ignition that exist in a residential setting.

As firefighters, we also suggest you take time now to determine the location, status and proper use of fire extinguishers in your home.

We thank the producers of Pet Sense for allowing us to share their video in the interest of community knowledge and public safety. If this blog post and associated links help you store and use flammable products more safely, Yogi's experience will have paid great dividends.

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
Firefighter/Specialist
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

Anonymous said...

It goes to show that you should have a fire extinguisher nearby in the event you can't or shouldn't douse the fire with water.

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.