Wednesday, April 11, 2012 | Posted by LAFD
Having seen many of our neighbors needlessly injured while performing seasonal chores, the Los Angeles Fire Department suggests you take a few simple steps to prepare for spring cleaning tasks.
It's easier - and more important than you think!
Like firefighters, we suggest you first consider the tools, training and logistics necessary to get the job done safely and efficiently.
While you may be tempted to use a cigarette lighter on a leaky pipe - or your least favorite screwdriver as a chisel, know that others once had the same thought... shortly before the LAFD arrived to extinguish their house fire or take them to the hospital.
So what do we suggest?
Your very first trip to the Do-It-Yourself Store should be for one or more of these items:
- Goggles or Safety Glasses
- Sturdy Leather Work Gloves
- Disposable Latex Gloves (for handling paints, pesticides, cleaners)
- Disposable Face Masks (for non-toxic dust)
- Earplugs or Earmuffs (for hearing protection)
- Sturdy Work Shoes with non-skid soles
- Knee or Elbow Pads
- Flashlight or Safety Lamp
- First Aid Kit
- Fire Extinguisher
- ...and Instructional Literature!
When it comes to tools, we suggest E-M-S: Examine, Maintain and properly Store. Now is the best time to find, clean and inspect your tools, as well as to store them and all of your household cleaning products safely.
Replacing a frayed power cord, retiring that once-favorite hammer with the loose handle, or locking caustic cleaners away from children is something you can do today. Now is also a good time to review the safety instructions and warning labels on gadgets, tools and household chemicals to be certain that you're always using the right product the right way. To learn more, visit:
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department
LAFD Breaking News
LAFD In The News
LAFD Retiree Deaths
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
National EMS News
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2013 (184)
- 20 Years Ago Today, LAFD Remembers 'Civil Unrest'
- Are Your Windows Safe?
- Saturday at the Rose Bowl: Watch L.A. Firefighters...
- Firefighter Injured in Early Morning Downtown L.A....
- LAFD Extinguishes Stubborn Attic Fire in Greater W...
- Are You Prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse
- Grand Opening of New LAFD Station 21 in South Los ...
- The City Opens its Doors: CicLAvia 2012
- On 'National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day' a Remind...
- Will Spring Cleaning Force You To Call 9-1-1?
- Fire Chief Brian L. Cummings Returns From Harvard ...
- Car Strikes Gasoline Tanker, Leading to Los Angele...
- Woman Succumbs When Fire Sweeps Through Converted ...
- 'Big Water' Saves Big Water Company in the Valley
- ▼ April (14)
- ► 2011 (199)
- ► 2010 (138)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (227)
- ► 2007 (297)
- ► 2006 (303)
- ► 2005 (211)