Thursday, January 12, 2012 | Posted by LAFD
In March of 2011, the voters approved an amendment to the City Charter to exempt all Deputy Chiefs from civil service provisions. This change was intended to give the Fire Chief the ability to select the members of the Command Staff. To select Assistant General Managers (Deputy Chief level), General Managers (Fire Chief) must comply with the provisions contained in the Mayor’s Executive Directive No. 6. The LAFD has also entered into a Letter of Agreement with the Chief Officers’ Association that speaks to the selection process to be utilized for Deputy Chiefs.
In compliance with both documents, on October 27, 2011 a job bulletin was posted for Fire Deputy Chief. A three-part selection process was used: Qualified members submitted their resume for review; four individuals, two each from the Personnel Department and the Fire Department reviewed the resumes and the top candidates moved on to the interview portion of the process. The four-person interview panel consisted of a Fire Commissioner, a Los Angeles Area Fire Chief, a retired Fire Chief and a member of the Fire Department. The panel rated the candidates, and Chief Cummings interviewed the resulting top four individuals.
The following selections were made and will become effective February 12, 2012:
Assistant Chief David Yamahata to Chief Deputy, Emergency Operations
Assistant Chief Daren Palacios to Chief Deputy, Administrative Operations
Assistant Chief Roxanne Bercik to Deputy Chief, Training and Support Bureau
Assistant Chief Mark Stormes to Deputy Chief, Fire Marshal
"I look forward to working with them as members of my Command Staff in accomplishing the Mission and achieving the Vision of the Los Angeles Fire Department." -Brian Cummings
Submitted by Erik Scott, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department
LAFD Breaking News
LAFD In The News
LAFD Retiree Deaths
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Power Alerts
CA OES News
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
National EMS News
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2014 (100)
- ► 2013 (177)
- Major Emergency Structure Fire Injures Firefighter...
- NOAA Declares Los Angeles StormReady and TsunamiRe...
- 31 Years Ago Today: Arson Takes the Life of LAFD's...
- House Fire Claims Life of Woman in South Robertson...
- Beloved LAFD Employee Remembered on 7th Anniversar...
- Man Charged with North Hollywood Arson Spree to St...
- Smoke Alarms Help Save Family From Burning Apartme...
- Booming Fire Tears Through Offices at Wilmington R...
- LAFD Hockey Team Honored to Support Wounded Warrio...
- LAFD's New Command Staff
- One Man Burned, Three Escape Injury in West Hills ...
- Pack-Rat Conditions Fuel Blaze in North Hollywood ...
- Firefighters Prevent Flames From Destroying South ...
- Fire on Armenian 'Little Christmas' Displaces Fam...
- LAFD Chief Speaks Proudly of 2011 Statistics at Pu...
- LAFD Battles Huge Hollywood Structure Fire
- Evening Update Regarding LA Arson Fires
- Noon Update Regarding LA Arson Fires
- Fight Continues Against Los Angeles Arson Fires
- ▼ January (19)
- ► 2011 (199)
- ► 2010 (138)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (227)
- ► 2007 (296)
- ► 2006 (303)
- ► 2005 (211)