On Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM, 21 Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, 10 LAFD Rescue Ambulances, 1 Arson Unit, 1 Urban Search and Rescue Unit, 1 Hazardous Materials Team, 2 EMS Battalion Captains, 5 Battalion Chief Officer Command Teams, 1 Division Chief Officer Command Team, 1 Emergency Air Tender, a total of 148 Los Angeles Firefighters assisted by Glendale Fire Department, all under the direction of Assistant Chief Daryl Arbuthnott, responded to a Major Emergency Structure Fire at 3053 North Fierro Street in Glassel Park near Atwater Village.
Firefighters arrived to find a one-story, commercial building approximately 200' x 75' with heavy fire showing and immediately called for additional resources. Fire crews aggressively advanced hose-lines to preserve the property and contents of this high-end, furniture manufacturing and sales company (doing business as "Haute House").
The additional challenge of protecting adjacent structures was immediately met by firefighters. Due to the large amount of combustible materials inside the structure, flames rapidly spread and intensely burned, resulting in a full roof collapse. Large hose streams and ladder pipe operations, capable of pouring copious amounts of water on the blaze were utilized.
Due to the determined effort and seamless teamwork of all on scene, the blaze was fully extinguished in one hour and 20 minutes before anyone was injured. Flames were predominately confined to the building of origin. Fire loss to the non-occupied structure is estimated at $1,750,000 ($1,500,000 structure & $250,000 content). The cause of the blaze is under active investigation.
Submitted by Erik Scott & Matt Spence, Spokesmen
Los Angeles Fire Department
Thursday, June 02, 2011 | Posted by LAFD Media and Public Relations
LAFD In The News
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
National EMS News
9-1-1 and Emergency Dispatcher News
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2012 (229)
- LAFD HazMat Responds When Dock Worker Takes Ill
- Chemical Investigation at Science Annex
- Grass Fire Near Cahuenga Pass
- House Fire Claims 1 Life in Beverly Glen/Bel Air
- Sculpture of Arnett L. Hartsfield, Jr Unveiled
- Greater Alarm Fire in Sun Valley Quickly Neutraliz...
- Blood Drives and Pancake Breakfasts to Benefit Fir...
- Firefighters Avert Natural Gas Disaster in Nor...
- LA Firefighters Battle Apartment Blaze in Pico-Uni...
- Encino Cactus Festival To Highlight Fire Safe Vege...
- LA Firefighters Battle Blaze in Downtown Wholesale...
- Fire Rips Through Furniture Store Near Atwater Vil...
- ▼ June (12)
- ► 2010 (167)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (228)
- ► 2007 (299)
- ► 2006 (305)
- ► 2005 (211)