Unusual Haz-Mat In A Train Tanker

Monday, July 12, 2010 |

On Monday, July 12th, 2010 at 3:45 AM, 7 Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, 7 LAFD Rescue Ambulances, 2 Urban Search and Rescue Units, 1 Rehab Unit, 1 Hazardous Materials Team, 1 EMS Battalion Captain, 2 Battalion Chief Officer Command Teams, 1 LAPD Haz-Mat Team, 1 LACoFD Haz-Mat Team, LA County Sheriffs, Union Pacific Security and various other law enforcement agencies under the direction of Battalion Chief Patrick Butler responded to a Hazardous Material Incident at Eastman Avenue X Union Pacific Avenue in the Hobart area, LACoFD's jurisdiction.
A total of 68 Los Angeles Firefighters were gradually requested to assist our friends at Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). The lengthy incident involved a confined space, that of a 60' long by 10' wide, train-tanker with possible hazardous materials (Haz-Mat) inside.

Firefighters made entry into the 30,000 gallon tanker wearing full Haz-Mat suits and began removing packages that were covered in an oil type substance. Two Firefighters experienced increased heart rate and dizziness after making entry, both were evaluated medically at USC hospital as a precaution, but were expected to be released back-to-duty the same day.

Just before 10:00 AM, an unknown object, similar to the size and shape of a coffee can, was found inside. Due to the suspicious nature of this item, the Fire Department Haz-Mat removal operation was halted. LAPD Bomb Squad took over the scene, and as a safety measure, carefully detonated the object at approximately 5:00 PM. The Fire Department was then able to safely resume entry.

Due to the nature of the incident and surrounding circumstances, LAPD will continue to take the lead role and provide any additional information. All LAFD Firefighters were released just before 9:00 PM. A total of 78 packages of what the LAPD previously referred to as marijuana was safely removed.

Submitted by Erik Scott, Spokesman Los Angeles Fire Department


PJCoyle said...

See my comments about the security implications of this incident at Chemical Facility Security News: http://chemical-facility-security-news.blogspot.com/2010/07/possible-explosives-in-rail-tank-car.html

Anonymous said...

Why was this incident managed for over 12 hours in the LACOFD/city of Commerce's jurisdiction without any notifications to LACOFD, Sheriff's, or the City of Commerce? LACOFD (excluding health haz mat) was not notified until 3 p.m.

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...


Thanks for your thought-provoking viewpoint regarding this incident. Kindly accept our best wishes for your on-line endeavors.

Anonymous 8:28,

I was sadly not on-duty the day this incident occurred, and am therefore unable to formally affirm or refute your allegation.

The LAFD Incident Commander of record, Battalion Chief Patrick Butler warmly welcomes your direct contact.

By nature of his role and responsibility, Battalion Chief Butler is uniquely qualified to provide an official answer to any concern(s) regarding LAFD command decisions and operational efforts at this multi-agency incident.

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.