Overloaded Outlet Sparks Chatsworth Condo Blaze

Saturday, March 22, 2008 |

On Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 3:17 PM, 6 Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, 2 LAFD Rescue Ambulances, 1 Hazardous Materials Team, 1 EMS Battalion Captain and 1 Battalion Chief Officer Command Team, a total of 41 Los Angeles Fire Department personnel, as well as 1 Company of Los Angeles County Firefighters, all under the direction of LAFD Battalion Chief Jeffrey Marcus, responded to a Structure Fire with Civilian Injury at 22348 James Alan Circle in Chatsworth.

Firefighters arrived quickly to find smoke showing from the upper floor of a two story condominium. Extending handlines as their coworkers deployed ladders to the roof, Firefighters commenced an aggressive fire attack aided by precise and timely vertical ventilation.

Despite the presence of dense personal storage within the home, the well-coordinated effort of Firefighters confined the flames to the bedroom of fire origin, extinguishing the blaze in less than 13 minutes.

Occupants of the unit were reportedly alerted to the fire by properly functioning smoke alarms in the non-fire sprinklered building.

A 42 year-old female resident was apparently one of several persons who attempted to fight the flames with a portable fire extinguisher prior to the Fire Department's arrival. She sustained 2nd degree burns to one foot and one hand, and following on-scene treatment, was transported in fair condition by LAFD Ambulance to Kaiser Hospital in Woodland Hills.

No other injuries were reported.

Displaced by the fire were 4 adults, 4 children and 3 dogs, all of whom were to receive temporary placement assistance from the American Red Cross.

Monetary loss from the fire is estimated at $85,000 ($65,000 structure & $20,000 contents). The cause of the blaze was determined to be electrical in nature, and is attributed to an overloaded electrical power strip.


Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

1 comments:

Heather said...

The American Red Cross did help us and we greatly appreciate it, we also appreciate the help from the fire fighters.
Thank you for helping my aunt and stopping the fire.
Heather(one of the children)

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.