Reseda Man Severely Burned in Garage Fire

Saturday, November 24, 2007 |

On Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 8:09 PM, 5 Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, 2 LAFD Rescue Ambulances, 1 Arson Unit, 1 EMS Battalion Captain and 1 Battalion Chief Officer Command Team, a total of 33 Los Angeles Fire Department personnel under the direction of Battalion Chief James Gaffney, responded to a Structure Fire with Civilian Burn Injury at 18571 Cantara Street in Reseda.

Firefighters responded quickly to find the attached garage of a one-story single family home well involved with fire, with flames threatening the adjoining home and attic.

As Firefighters extended handlines to do battle with the flames, their colleagues came to the immediate aid of a severely burned adult male standing on the front lawn.

According to the man, he had been performing motorcycle repair within his garage, when he was suddenly enveloped in flames. Running into the home, he was ushered to the front lawn by his wife, who helped to fully extinguish his burning skin and clothes.

As Paramedic-trained Firefighters provided prompt medical care, other Firefighters took to the roof to perform precise and timely vertical ventilation, limiting horizontal fire spread and allowing the flames to be fully controlled in less than 18 minutes.

The injured man was taken to nearby Northridge Hospital Medical Center in critical condition with 2nd degree burns to more than a third of his body.

Monetary loss from the fire is estimated at $325,000 ($250,000 structure & $75,000 contents). The cause of the blaze is listed as accidental, and attributed to gasoline fumes coming into contact with a water heater pilot light.


Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi im apart of there family and my tio is in better condition and having surgery,but whille my mom was waiting for him she met adam sanler he is a very kind man as he heard what happen it touched him and gave my tio an autograph and made him a smile and made his day better

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...

Anonymous 7:40,

Thanks for the note. We're very pleased to hear that Tio is doing better following surgery. Please know that he remains in our thoughts and prayers.

Your Mom and Mr. Sandler are to be commended for being so thoughtful.

Please keep us aware of Tio's progress, and extend to him our best wishes for a full and speefy recovery.

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
Firefighter/Specialist
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

Blessed said...

my uncle is getting out of the hospital this week
thanks for the prayers

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...

Dear Blessed,

Thanks for the note. Your Uncle's return is truly the best 'holiday gift' that any of us could ask for!

Kindly extend our well wishes, and encourage him to contact the Incident Commander, Chief Gaffney when he feels up to it.

I am certain that Chief Gaffney and all who responded would like an opportunity to meet your Uncle and his family.

Again Blessed, thanks for sharing the very good news. Because true recovery from burn injuries can take longer than a hospital stay, we're very pleased to know Tio has great family and friends to support him in his journey to wellness.

Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

Brian Humphrey
Firefighter/Specialist
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department

blessed said...

Thanks Ill let him know im very sure he would love to meet you all and also his family

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.