Natural Gas Leak Finds Flame... Restaurant Explodes

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 |

On January 13, 2007, at 2:05 A.M., a cadre of 30 Firefighters under the direction of Battalion Chief Randy Beaty responded to 7806 1/2 S. San Pedro St. in South Central Los Angeles. Firefighters found a 10' X 25' structure well involved with fire. Indications that and explosion had occurred were immediately recognized, as evidenced by the walls of the structure leaning and bulging outward and glass scattered throughout the street. Eyewitnesses reported hearing a large explosion and debris being thrown throughout the area.

Arriving companies, recognizing the immediate life hazards associated with the damaged building, quickly implemented a defensive strategy. The primary focus of the fire fight was to protect the Firefighters, prevent the spread of fire to nearby structures, and extinguish the fire without entering the compromised structure.

The occupant was doing business as "El Triunfo" Fast Food Restaurant. The cause was ruled as accidental; a natural gas leak igniting on a stove pilot light. Loss was estimated as $60K to structure, $15K to contents. The compromised walls were carefully dismantled during overhaul as all hazards were removed. No injuries were reported. There was some minor collateral damage to a nearby home and a power-pole.

Submitted by Ron Myers, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.