You can't be "sort of" prepared for emergencies. Either you are or you aren't, and experience has shown us that most people fall into the latter category. It's not that they don't want to be prepared, but they find the process intimidating or simply never get "around to it".
Now Is The Time For You To Get A Round Tuit!
Let us be frank. If you don't write a sticky note to yourself right now and place it someplace conspicuous (like on your computer monitor), you'll be among the majority unprepared for a minor emergency event, much less a disaster.
Rather than try to fund complete preparedness today, firefighters suggest small but calculated investments over time that will not only make disasters survivable, but truly less threatening.
But first you need to have a plan and a way to make it happen.
Why not skip dessert tonight and put a few dollar bills in a new piggy bank to fund your preparedness efforts?
How about making that plan today?
The links below are readily available via the Los Angeles Fire Department website at LAFD.ORG. The information is free. All you need to do is click on the link(s) and hit the print button!
- Allstate Foundation and LAFD: You Can Prepare!
- American Red Cross - Get Prepared
- California - Be Ready!
- CDC - Emergency Preparedness and Response
- CERT - Community Emergency Response Teams
- CERT - LA
- Citizen Guide To Disaster Preparedness
- Earthquake Country
- Emergency Preparedness for People With Disabilities
- FEMA For Kids
- L.A. County Emergency Preparedness and Response
- LAFD - Emergency Preparedness Booklet
- Preparedness Today - What You Need To Do!
Oh, and don't forget that sticky note on your computer monitor, refrigerator or bathroom mirror. The men and women of the Los Angeles Fire Department are counting on you getting around to disaster preparedness today!
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department