On Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 5:05 PM PDT, twenty-four Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, two LAFD Rescue Ambulances, four LAFD Helicopters, various LAFD Support Units, one seasonal contract Helitanker, four Los Angeles County Fire Department Hand Crews with Crew Supervisor, eleven Companies of Burbank Firefighters, twelve Companies of US Forest Service Firefighters and one US Forest Service Helicopter, all under the command of Los Angeles Fire Department Assistant Chief Michael Fulmis, responded to a Major Emergency Brush Fire near 9562 Via Salerno in Sun Valley.
Los Angeles Firefighters arrived quickly to discover two acres of grass burning steadily away from homes in the mountainous Villa Cabrini subdivision that borders the City of Burbank and Verdugo Mountains.
Firefighters flanked the fire with handlines over increasingly steep terrain as water-dropping helicopters precisely attacked the head of the fire.
Despite a mild but steady wind, the stubborn flames were confined to twenty-five acres of grass and brush and extinguished in just two hours and thirty-six minutes.
No injuries were reported.
Fire resistant roof materials and strict compliance with brush clearance regulations throughout the neighborhood allowed Firefighters to readily defend the hillside community from fire damage.
The cause of the blaze is categorized as suspicious and remains under active investigation.
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department
Saturday, September 03, 2005 | Posted by LAFD Media and Public Relations
LAFD In The News
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
National EMS News
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2012 (228)
- ► 2011 (207)
- ► 2010 (167)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (228)
- ► 2007 (299)
- ► 2006 (305)
- Friday Night Topanga Incident Update
- Friday Afternoon Topanga Incident Update
- Thursday Night Topanga Incident Update
- Thursday Afternoon Topanga Incident Update
- Four Firefighters Injured Battling Van Nuys Blaze
- LAFD Assists with Brush Fire in Browns Canyon
- LAFD Standby for JetBlue Flight 292 at LAX
- Bench Grinder Sparks Pack Rat Blaze in Arleta
- Groundbreaking for New Fire Station in Granada Hil...
- Explosion and Fire at Panorama City Business
- Wall Collapse During Blaze Injures Firefighters
- Grand Opening of Fire Station 77 in Sun Valley
- Backhoe Ruptures Abandoned Pipeline in Sun Valley
- Power Outage Causes Event at Wilmington Refinery
- Mid-City Apartment Fire Displaces Six Residents
- Firefighters Capture Alligator in Wilmington
- Worker Dies in El Sereno Trench Collapse
- Verdugo Foothill Blaze Chars 25 Acres
- Noxious Gas Kills 3 on Cruise Ship
- ▼ September (19)