In response to a formal request made through the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services, the Los Angeles Fire Department has mobilized a cadre of specially-trained Firefighters to assist Gulf Coast residents afflicted by Hurricane Katrina.
Fourteen specially-trained Los Angeles Firefighters, four LAFD vehicles, three inflatable boats, technical rescue equipment and supplies have departed for the Gulf Coast via military air transport.
The Los Angeles Fire Department team expects to mesh closely with local, regional, State and Federal resources in responding to acute life safety needs created by storm activity.
Along with skill and experience, these specially-trained Los Angeles Firefighters, all certified in multiple forms of water rescue, will bring compassion and support to the many who have been affected by this monumental storm.
The LAFD water rescue team, a component of our Urban Search and Rescue Task Force, is designed to be remain self-sufficient and highly mobile.
The period of deployment is expected to be no less than three days.
Pursuant of established protocol, specific and real-time public information regarding the actions of these LAFD personnel during the period of deployment will be provided by emergency management officials in the effected area.
We wish to assure Los Angeles residents that the City of Los Angeles remains fully protected by the use of additional staff and reserve apparatus to cover foreseeable local needs.
Submitted by Brian Humphrey, Spokesman
Los Angeles Fire Department
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 | Posted by LAFD Media and Public Relations
LAFD In The News
L.A. Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
CA Wildfire Response
CA State Wildfires
CA Federal Wildfires
Latest Tsunami Bulletin
National Fire News
National EMS News
9-1-1 and Emergency Dispatcher News
Consumer Product Recalls & Advisories
Fire Service Advisories
Firefighter Close Calls
U.S. Civilian Fire Deaths
U.S. Firefighter Deaths
Red Flag Parking Status
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (207)
- ► 2010 (167)
- ► 2009 (141)
- ► 2008 (228)
- ► 2007 (299)
- ► 2006 (305)
- FEMA requests LAFD USAR Task Force
- Major Emergency Fire in Westchester Office Buildin...
- LAFD Assisting Victims of Hurricane Katrina
- Puppies Rescued in North Hollywood
- Fire in Mid-City, Injures 2, Displaces 10
- Auto Fire sparks Brush in Sun Valley
- Chlorine Gas Injures 6 in Civic Center Area
- LAFD Battles Container Fire on Cargo Ship
- Brush Burns in Griffith Park
- Brush Fire Scorches Nichols Canyon
- Accident Claims Life of CDF Firefighter, Injures 2...
- Car vs Pedestrians in Van Nuys
- Electrical Fire Damages Valley Furniture Firm
- ▼ August (13)