Tree onto Vehicle with Civilian Fatality

Thursday, March 31, 2005 |

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 1026 hours, (10:26 a.m. P.S.T.), three companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, one Battalion Officer Command Team, one EMS Battalion Supervisor, one LAFD Rescue Ambulance, Heavy Rescue 56, and one Urban Search and Rescue Team, under the direction of Battalion Commander John Comerford, responded to the report of a tree onto a car near the intersection of North Mecca Avenue and North Reseda Boulevard in the Tarzana area.

First units on the scene reported that a pine tree, approximately 75’ in height had fallen onto a vehicle traveling southbound on Reseda Boulevard, crushing the vehicle and the sole occupant (the driver) inside.

The seventy-five year old male inside the vehicle was declared dead at the scene. No other injuries were reported.

The cause of the incident is under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department and the Bureau of Street Services.


cybele said...

This story has kind of freaked me out. It's so incredibly sad that someone had to lose their life with something as seemingly improbable as a tree falling onto a roadway.

On my street a neighbor's retaining wall collapsed back in February in the rains. They've cleared away the old retaining wall, but now their mature eucalyptus is standing there not three feet from an unreinforced six foot high dirt embankment. It strikes me that the tree is hardly well anchored and that even mild winds from the right direction might push it righ over into the street (and not just a hazard to the people driving by, but the house across the street).

I'm sure this is a topic I need to bring up with my neighbors and nothing the bureau of street services can help me with.

LAFD Media and Public Relations said...

We too were saddened by this tragic incident.

As for your situation...

There may be some municipal agencies that can provide guidance if not outright assistance. The first step however is to engage in constructive dialogue with your neighbor. Once they realize not only the impact to your family, but also the possible repurcussions upon them, they may be inclined to act quickly.

Among the City agencies you can turn to are the Department of Building and Safety, the City Attorney's Office Dispute Resolution Program...or even your City Councilmember.

You'll find some helpful and convenient links to the above mentioned entities and more by visiting:

Best Wishes!

Brian Humphrey

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are approved or disapproved without editing.

We seek to offer a broad cross-section of *public* thoughts that are specific to the topic at hand and genuinely polite in tone - regardless of opinion.

Kindly post your comments below.